Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Getting Back to Basics

I have to be honest and say that for many years, I had become one of those Holiday Zombies. You know the type, those so obsessed with being the ultimate gift giver that they don't care if they're in hawk for it for the next three years. Those who think they know exactly what everyone "needs" and ensures they get it. Ughh...

Well, today is a day to be thankful for misfortunes because we just cannot be one of those Zombies this year. It's financially impossible and you know, I'm loving every minute of it.

The kids will get a humble stack of brightly wrapped boxes and a stocking to open. Mr. B and I have already agreed upon what will be in said boxes, and beyond that this holiday season will be spent as it was intended, enjoying our family. I'm excited about getting back to basics and spending my valuable time focussing on getting something special for the kids rather than getting something for a long list of people who probably can't afford to be buying anything for us either. I'm eager to make some tins of baked goods to use as Christmas offerings to anyone who might decide to ignore my repeated requests to not spend their hard earned money on us.

Mr. B and I always agreed that in retrospect, we were much happier in the days when we were dirt poor. Funny that. Although we're not poor, we're broke and there's a big difference, we're going to live as though we were and it's going to be delightful. Degroovy, even. Regular updates shall follow. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment